Getting married in Alaska

IMPORTANT NOTE: Marriage laws and license requirements change continually, so please check the latest information with your local marriage license bureau office or county clerk's office before making your wedding or travel plans, and before inviting your guests.

Marriage license applications should be submitted to the Bureau office or Alaska Court that is closest to where the marriage ceremony will be performed or where the Groom or Bride can easily pick up the marriage license. See below for a list of offices and courts.

Who may apply for a marriage license

Residents and nonresidents are eligible to apply for a marriage license.

Both parties must be 18 years of age or older to marry without parental consent. A birth certificate may be required to show proof of age. EXCEPTION: Persons who are less than 18 years of age and who are members of the armed forces of the United States while on active duty will not be required to provide parental consent. Military papers will be required to show proof of active duty status.

Persons ages 16 and 17 must submit a parental consent form signed by both parents with their application. If one parent is sole custodian of the minor, a divorce decree stating custody rights or a death certificate must be presented as well. Alaska law does not permit those under the age of 16 to marry without a court order.

If either party is under eighteen, contact the Alaska Bureau of Vital Statistics at (907) 465-3391 for additional instructions before completing the application.

Cousin marriages are permitted in Alaska.

ID requirements

The Groom and Bride must present a government-issued photo ID showing their name and date of birth before a marriage license can be issued.

Previous marriages

All divorces must be final and filed with the courts in the state granted. If either party has been married previously, the beginning and ending dates of all previous marriages must be listed on the application. Submitting a copy of a divorce decree is only required if the divorce or dissolution occurred less than sixty days prior to applying for the marriage license.

Blood tests and other tests

No blood test or physical exam is required.

Marriage ceremonies and witnesses

An Alaskan marriage license is valid only for marriages performed in Alaska or in Alaska State waters.


Under Alaska Statute 25.05.261(a)(2), anyone can perform a marriage ceremony, including a friend or relative, if they first obtain a marriage commissioner appointment from an Alaskan court as authorized by AS 25.05.081. The person should be 18 years of age or older, and does not need to be a resident of Alaska or the United States in order to perform the ceremony. Below is the Alaska Court System Web site for Marriage Commissioner appointments:


The license fee is $50.00.

Waiting period

There is a three (3) business day waiting period that begins once a mailed or faxed application is received by the issuing office. This means that you must wait at least three full business days after the application is submitted before you can pick up the license and the marriage ceremony can be performed.

Validity of license

The license is valid for three (3) months from the date of issuance. The marriage must be performed before the three-month expiration of the license or the license will no longer be valid. Refunds and extensions cannot be granted.

Copy of marriage certificate

The bride or groom may obtain a certified copy of their own marriage certificate. A marriage certificate can also be furnished to a legal representative. Legal representatives must submit a certified copy of the legal document when requesting a marriage certificate that is not their own.

The first copy of a certificate is $25.00 and additional copies are $20 for each copy of the same record ordered at the same time. Requests sent by regular mail will normally be processed within 2 -3 weeks after receipt by the Bureau.

Download the Alaska Marriage Certificate Request form at

For more information

Find out more at, download the marriage license application at or visit your nearest Bureau of Vital Statistics or Alaska Court:

Bureau of Vital Statistics
5441 Commercial Boulevard
PO Box 110675
Juneau, AK 99811
PH: 907.465.3391 
Homer District Recorder
Homer, AK
907. 235. 8136  
Bureau of Vital Statistics
3601 C Street, Suite 128
Anchorage, AK 99503
PH: 907.269.0991 
Juneau District Recorder
Juneau, AK
907. 465. 3392  
Bureau of Vital Statistics
615 23rd Avenue, Suite 300
Fairbanks, AK 99701
PH: 907.452.4863 
Kenai County Clerk
Kenai, AK
907. 283. 3118  
Anchorage District Recorder
Anchorage, AK
907. 269. 0990  
Ketchikan Recorder
Ketchikan, AK
907. 225. 3142  
Bethel District Recorder
Bethel, AK
907. 543. 3391  
Kodiak Recorder
Kodiak, AK
907. 486. 9432  
Cape Nome Recorder
Nome, AK
907. 443. 5178  
Palmer District Recorder
Palmer, AK
907. 746. 8102  
Fairbanks District Court
Fairbanks, AK
907. 452. 9210 
Sitka Recorder
Sitka, AK
907. 747. 3275 

Related articles:

Your comments

Comments (0)

Allowed tags: <b><i><br>Add a new comment:


We recommend