Getting married in Maryland

IMPORTANT NOTE: Marriage laws and license requirements change continually, so please check the latest information with your local marriage license bureau office or county clerk's office before making your wedding or travel plans, and before inviting your guests.

Generally only one person must appear at the Clerk’s Office to file the application but they must have all the information for both parties or the license will not be issued. If you are applying for your license using the Non-Resident Marriage Application then both you and your fiance must apply together.

A marriage license may be obtained from the Circuit Court Clerk's Office in the county where the marriage is to take place. If, however, it is not convenient for you to visit the Clerk's Office in that county, you may apply using a Non-Resident Affidavit.

Affidavits are available online at the Calvert, Kent, and Queen Anne's Circuit Court Clerks' websites. Or obtain one from either your county or from the county in which you plan to marry.

The application must be signed by the applicant(s) under oath indicating the truthfulness of the information under penalty of perjury.

Who may apply for a marriage license

The bride and groom do not have to be residents of Maryland.

Applicants under the age of 15 may not marry.

An applicant who is 15 years old may only marry with the consent of a parent or guardian and with a certificate from a licensed physician verifying that an examination of the woman to be married indicated that she is pregnant or has given birth to a child.

Applicants 16 or 17 years old may only marry with the consent of a parent or guardian who confirms that individual’s age or with a certificate from a licensed physician verifying that an examination of the woman to be married indicated that she is pregnant or has given birth to a child.

Cousin marriages are permitted.

ID requirements

The bride and groom require picture ID such as a driver's license, birth certificate, passport, military I.D. or alien registration card.

You should both know your Social Security numbers, and should both also know the state and county in which you were born.

Proof of age is not required if both parties are 21 and older. Applicants 20 and younger are required to provide proof of age when applying for the license.

Previous marriages

If divorced, the day, month and year of the divorce, and the county and state in which the divorce was granted. If divorced within the last year at the time of application, a copy of the divorce decree must be presented.

If widowed, the day, month and year of the death, and the county and state in which the death occurred.

Blood tests and other tests

No tests are required.

Marriage ceremonies and witnesses

No witnesses are required in Maryland.


Any minister of the gospel authorized by the rules and customs of their church may perform marriages. The minister must complete the marriage license and marriage certificate and give one certificate to the couple. Another certificate and the license must be returned to the clerk of the Court of Common Pleas within five days after the marriage.

Maryland no longer employs Justices of the Peace to perform civil ceremonies. Instead, only a Clerk of the Circuit Court or an appointed, designated Deputy Clerk of the Circuit Court may perform civil ceremonies. The hours, location and fees for a civil ceremony vary from county to county. Visit the circuit courts website to locate the Clerk of the Circuit Court in your county.


Each county has different fees, ranging from $35 - $75. Payment methods depend according to the county, but many counties only accept cash.

Waiting period

2 days. The license is issued at the same time the application is taken; however, the license will reflect an effective date of forty-eight hours from the date of issue.

Validity of license

The license is valid for 6 months.

The license can only be used within the State of Maryland. Licenses issued by some county may only be valid in that county.

Foreign License Recordation

If a couple has been married in another state or country and one of the parties is a citizen of Maryland, the couple may record the marriage ("foreign marriage") at the License Department. The parties must provide a certificate of marriage signed by the individual who performed the marriage or an official certified copy of the marriage record. There is no fee to record a foreign marriage.

Copy of marriage certificate


Maryland Division of Vital Records
Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
P.O. Box 68760
Baltimore, MD 21215-0020
Telephone: (410) 764-3038

For more information

Here is a list of county clerk's offices in Maryland:

Allegany Clerk
Cumberland, MD

Anne Arundel Clerk
Annapolis, MD

Baltimore City Circuit Court
Baltimore, MD

Baltimore County
Towson, MD

Calvert county Court
Prince Frederick, MD

Caroline County Clerk
Denton, MD

Carroll County Clerk
Westminster, MD

Cecil County Clerk
Elkton, MD

Charles County Clerk
La Plata, MD

Dorchester County Clerk
Cambridge, MD

Frederick Circuit Court
Frederick, MD

Garrett Circuit Clerk
Oakland, MD

Harford County Clerk
Bel Air, MD

Howard County Clerk
Ellicott City, MD

Kent County Clerk
Chestertown, MD

Montgomery County Clerk
Rockville, MD

Prince Georges County Clerk
Upper Marlboro, MD

Queen Annes County Clerk
Centreville, MD

Somerset County Clerk
Princess Anne, MD

St Marys Circuit Clerk
Leonard Town, MD

Talbot Court Clerk
Easton, MD

Washington Court Clerk
Hagerstown, MD

Wicomico Court Clerk
Salisbury, MD

Worcester Circuit Clerk
Snow Hill, MD

Related articles:

Your comments

Comments (1)

  1. Ademola:
    Mar 19, 2017 at 02:15 AM

    Good Evening, I would like to know the procedure of getting married to my fiancee. she resides in virginia and i stay in new jersey but we intend to get married in Baltimore Maryland. please email me the necessary requirements for an immigrant visiting his fiance.

Allowed tags: <b><i><br>Add a new comment:


We recommend